A guide on how and where to get your ENG1 medical certificate

If you’re planning to get a job as crew on board a yacht, you’ll need to get an ENG1 Seafarer Medical Certificate (or equivalent) before you can begin working. Here’s a look into what the ENG1 is, why you need it and how you can set about obtaining yours.

What is an ENG1 Seafarer Medical Certificate?

The ENG1 is a medical examination set by the MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) to assess whether individuals are fit to work on a seagoing vessel and perform duties at sea. You’ll need an ENG1 if you’re in charge of a ship (a captain), serving on a merchant ship, or a seafarer. You’ll also need an ENG1 for any UK Certificate of Competency (CoC).

The MLC (Maritime Labour Convention) states that every seafarer must have a valid medical certificate recognised by the administration before they can start work at sea - the ENG1 certificate being the one you need in order to work on a yacht or ship. 

[Note: To become a crew member on board a domestic passenger ship that goes to sea, you’ll need an ML5 medical certificate.]

The only exception in regards the ENG1 is if you are going to work aboard a small commercial vessel for Area Category 2 to 6 (essentially one that doesn't venture more than 60 miles from a safe haven). In this case your would only require an ML5 medical certificate.

The ENG1 certificate is awarded upon completion of a basic medical examination, carried out by an MCA-Approved Doctor (AD). If you’re over 18, pass the examination and are considered to be in good health, your ENG1 certificate can be valid for up to two years (your doctor will clarify terms upon completion).

Why do I need an ENG1 Certificate?

The purpose of the ENG1 examination is to establish whether you have any medical conditions that might prevent you from performing your duties on board. It ensures that you’re suitably fit and don’t suffer from a medical condition that could be worsened by time at sea, or endanger the health and safety of those around you.

Insurance companies require yachts to comply with safe-manning requirements in order for the yacht to be covered. This means that all crew must be fully STCW compliant (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) – and to obtain an STCW Basic Safety Certificate you need to have passed an ENG1 medical exam first.

Simply put, you’ll need to have passed your ENG1 to be able to work on a yacht, or gain any UK CoC. Some countries have their own equivalent seafarer medical certificates, with many of them accepted by the MCA for positions on board. Find a comprehensive list of the accepted certificates.

When should I get my ENG1 examination?

Seeing as you need an ENG1 certificate before you can start working on a yacht, it’s a good idea to undertake the medical examination as soon as you decide to embark on a career as yacht crew. It will then need to be renewed every two years.

Not only can the ENG1 be a prerequisite of any STCW mandatory training course, but it’s also beneficial for you to find out if there are any medical reasons that will prevent you from working in the yachting industry, or restrict which roles you can perform.

blood pressure

Where can I get an ENG1 medical exam and how much does it cost?

Only MCA-approved doctors can perform an ENG1 medical exam, so it’s not always as straightforward as visiting your local GP.

Fortunately there are numerous MCA-approved doctors around the UK that can carry out your ENG1 medical. You can also find a handful of approved doctors in most of the countries you would likely be seeking crew work (France, Spain, USA, etc.), giving you greater choice and flexibility.

View a list of MCA-approved doctors who can conduct ENG1 medicals.

The maximum fee for an ENG1 medical examination in the UK is £115. Outside the UK it's up to doctors to decide the fee as there are no government subsidies to support this practice. If you’re employed in the UK, your employer will cover the cost. If you need extra tests, you may be charged more. This must be agreed beforehand with whomever is paying for the ENG1.

What to take to an ENG1 examination

Once you’ve booked an ENG1 medical examination with a certified doctor, it's worth noting what you need to take with you. This includes:

  • A form of photo ID (passport, driving licence, official student pass [for new entrants], or a discharge book)
  • Your current ENG1 (if applicable)
  • The name, address and contact details of your GP
  • Any correspondence from your GP, if you’ve recently been to hospital
  • A list of any medication(s) you are taking
  • Your glasses/contact lenses (if you wear them)

What does an ENG1 examination entail?

There's no need to be nervous ahead of your medical. An ENG1 examination is painless, non-invasive and easily carried out by a medical professional.

A standard ENG1 examination will include:

  • Measuring your height and weight
  • A standard eye test
  • A colour blindness test
  • A hearing test
  • Ear and throat evaluations
  • Teeth/gums inspection
  • Questions on your medical history, drinking habits, etc.
  • A urine sample (to test kidney functionality and blood sugar)
  • Reflex testing
  • Listening to your heart and lungs, testing blood pressure and heart rate
  • Hernia testing (asking you to cough while gently pressing your abdomen)

The speed of the exam can depend on the doctor and location, but everything should be completed within 30 to 40 minutes. If you pass, you should be issued with your ENG1 certificate straight away.

hand shake

Will I have to pass a drugs test to complete the ENG1 examination?

Drug screening is not a requirement during statutory seafarer medicals such as the ENG1 examination. However, because it will almost certainly be a condition of employment, it can be included in the ENG1 if there is a genuine clinical suspicion of adverse effects from drug use.

The use of stimulants and/or cannabis during periods of leave may not necessarily have an impact on the user's fitness when back at work, but the commonly used drug tests on board can detect substances up to several weeks after use and the user could find themselves embroiled in a serious contractual issue. Thus, if there is any doubt about a person's relationship with drugs, a test can be included in the ENG1 examination.

ENG1 results: What if I fail the ENG1 examination?

There are three possible outcomes for the ENG1 seafarer medical examination:


  1. Fit without restrictions (unrestricted)
  2. Fit with restrictions, limiting your work to certain jobs or locations
  3. Temporarily or permanently unfit


You may be awarded a ‘temporarily unfit certificate’ if the doctor has any concerns about your fitness. They may need to gain additional medical information from your doctor, or advice from an MCA chief medical advisor.

If you are found ‘permanently unfit’ for the ENG1, this result stands for at least five years. You’ll need to show clinical evidence proving the condition that caused this result has been reversed to be able to progress in your application. The examiner will issue an ENG3 Notice of Failure/Restriction if you’re found unfit or your ENG1 is restricted.

If you want to have an independent medical review, you must contact the MCA Seafarer Health and Safety Branch within one month of the ENG3 being issued. Find a list of MCA medical referees

If you’ve failed based on the Ishihara Plate Screening which tests colour vision, you'll be able to undertake the Colour Assessment Diagnosis (CAD) test, which measures the severity and type of colour-vision loss and congenital deficiency, costing between £100 and £150. If this is failed, a restricted ENG1 may be issued. However, deck officers who have failed the Ishihara and CAD tests will be classed as ENG3 Cat 4 ‘Permanently Unfit’.

Find a list of MCA-approved ENG1 doctors in our dedicated ENG1 category on Yachting Pages.

What next?

Once you've been awarded your certificate, you can proceed with your journey to launch a career as yacht crew!

Here are a few articles you may find helpful in getting on board:

Good luck!

Crew Training Medical Supplies & Services
June 17, 2022
Tried & Tested: Best Water Toys 2022
Tried & Tested: Best Water Toys 2022

In our 2022 Tried & Tested, yacht toy specialist EAMS and a group of captains and crew review a selection of the very best luxury water toys on the market. Find out which toy was crowned the winner...

By Hannah Rankine
March 12, 2021
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Crew Polo Shirts
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Crew Polo Shirts

In this Tried & Tested, clothing specialist Sea Design conducts a review into the best yacht crew polo shirts on the market. Which garment comes out on top when put to the test? Find out the number one option...

By Nathan Bees
January 21, 2021
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Cleaning Products
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Cleaning Products

In this Tried & Tested, yacht cleaning expert Marine 16 Ltd and cleaning expert Judith Shaw rate and review some of the best cleaning products available to buy. Find out which product was crowned the best following rigorous testing.

By Yachting Pages
Climate activists block superyacht marina in French Riviera

Climate activists blocked a quayside on the French Riviera on Saturday 24th September 2022 to protest against what they ...

By Annabelle Fox
September 26, 2022
Climate activists block superyacht marina in French Riviera
Mersey Maritime Industry Awards 2022 announce finalists

The Mersey Maritime Industry Awards 2022 are set to be the biggest and most high profile yet with 39 finalists announced...

By Annabelle Fox
September 26, 2022
Mersey Maritime Industry Awards 2022 announce finalists

Finished reading? Now find your perfect supplier.

Search our industry-leading directory for over 20,000 superyacht suppliers, providers and marinas.

Search now