Au naturel: Organic toiletries for superyachts

The effects of harsh chemicals and other harmful ingredients in beauty and skincare products are well documented, as well as the effect their manufacturing have on the planet. Combine that with the effects of salty sea air drying out skin, and it’s easy to see why the market and demand for natural toiletries has boomed in recent years.  

With the increasing pressure for the world to be more eco-friendly, organic toiletries are becoming more and more popular in today’s luxury industry. Yachting Pages has taken a look at the advantages of these natural products and why they are so popular in the yachting industry of today.

Why organic toiletries?

It is estimated that up to 60% of what we put on our skin gets absorbed into the body and it is no surprise that natural and organic toiletries are increasing in popularity. On average, organic ingredients contain higher levels of vitamin C and essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium as well as cancer-fighting antioxidants.

What we put on our bodies is as important as what we put into them, but unfortunately what we don’t often realise is that virtually any ingredient could be used in the manufacture of products that are used daily on skin, hair and nails. It only makes sense to search for healthier options and to check what you are using isn’t harmful to your body.

Guaranteed to be natural

In order to be certified organic a product needs to be 95% organic. The other 5% of ingredients need to be approved non organic, which means they must be nontoxic to humans and the environment.

Developments in organic ingredients

Today there is a host of organic high-tech ingredients which have proven efficacy, for example anti-wrinkle, anti-ageing, firming etc. qualities.

Skin irritation

Synthetic chemicals in skincare, combined with the pollution our skin faces daily, can trigger or exacerbate sensitivity. Synthetic ingredients that are commonly used in cosmetics can cause skin sensitisation and allergies, either immediately or through prolonged use.

The environment

More and more, environmentally-conscious owners and crews are moving towards organic or sustainably-sourced ranges. Green is the future; it’s no longer just about having a quality product, users want to feel as though they are doing something good for the environment.

Organic Products

Harmful ingredients found in non-organic toiletries

Many industrial chemicals have reportedly been found in some beauty products such as carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins and hormone disruptor. Reports have stated that some products can even include plasticisers (chemicals that keep concrete soft), degreasers (used to get grime off auto parts), and surfactants (they reduce surface tension in water, like in paint and inks).

What to look out for

Some of the most common non-organic skin care products can contain:

  • Mercury
  • Dioxane
  • Nitrosamines
  • DEA
  • Cyclomethicone
  • Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
  • Alcohol, Isopropyl (SD-40)
  • Polyethylene Glycol

Experts advise you should avoid chemical such as:

  • Parabens
  • Phthalates
  • DEA
  • Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives (FRPs)
  • Toluene
  • Triclosan
  • Anything with the generic term fragrance

Synthetics in non-organic toiletries

Be careful that the ingredients you are looking for are not synthetic versions, but natural versions of that particular ingredient, as synthetic versions can all be harmful. So some products may say they are made from natural ingredients but the substances listed are actually synthetic chemicals derived from a natural product.

Synthetic chemicals in skincare, combined with the pollution our skin faces daily, can trigger or exacerbate sensitivity. Synthetic ingredients that are commonly used in cosmetics can cause skin sensitisation and allergies, either immediately or through prolonged use.

What makes a beauty or skincare product organic?

In order to be certified organic a product needs to be 95% organic. The other 5% of ingredients need to be approved non organic, which means they must be nontoxic to humans and the environment.

Today there are a host of organic high-tech ingredients which have proven efficacy, for example anti-wrinkle, anti-ageing, firming etc. qualities.

More and more, environmentally-conscious owners and crews are moving towards organic or sustainably-sourced ranges. Green is the future; it’s no longer just about having a quality product, users want to feel as though they are doing something good for the environment.

If you’re unsure of whether a product really is natural and organic, you can visit the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, which rates cosmetics and skincare products on a hazard scale of 0 to 10.

Choosing specialist organic toiletry brands for superyachts

It is becoming common for the interior staff of superyachts to request all products to be organic or natural. There are specific companies who can help guests, owners and crew get these organic and natural toiletries, ensuring all products are authentically natural and organic.

Alexander Buckley-Bryce believes it’s important for him to be able to sell a positive brand message to customers, and that Moncada Hispania decided to branch out into more natural and sustainability-conscious amenities. “We can sell to our customers with a feeling of not only doing great business, but with the feeling that we’re contributing towards a positive global influence.”

Read more of our luxury toiletries guides, or read our Q&A on natural, sustainable toiletries with luxury amenities specialist, Moncada Hispania.

You can also search for luxury toiletries suppliers on Yachtingpages.com.


Toiletries Articles
March 12, 2021
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Crew Polo Shirts
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Crew Polo Shirts

In this Tried & Tested, yacht bedding specialist Sea Design conducts a review into the best duvets, quilts and pillows on the market. It tests a series of leading products to work out the best yacht bedding money can buy.

By Nathan Bees
January 21, 2021
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Cleaning Products
Tried & Tested: Best Yacht Cleaning Products

In this Tried & Tested, yacht cleaning expert Marine 16 Ltd and cleaning expert Judith Shaw rate and review some of the best cleaning products available to buy. Find out which product was crowned the best following rigorous testing.

By Yachting Pages
January 13, 2021
Tried & Tested: Best Water Toys
Tried & Tested: Best Water Toys

In our brand new Tried & Tested, yacht water toy specialist EAMS and a group of experienced superyacht captains and crew rate and review the very best luxury water toys on the market. Find out which brand and product was crowned the best...

By Nathan Bees

Finished reading? Now find your perfect supplier.

Search our industry-leading directory for over 20,000 superyacht suppliers, providers and marinas.

Search now